I came home that day and asked my husband the same question. He said it was a tie- either Italy or Lake Powell.
"What is so great about Lake Powell?" I wondered.
I just spent four days on a houseboat there and now I understand. Let me explain why the words "Lake Powell" make almost every Utahan's mouth water.
Lake Powell is huge. It is the second largest man-made reservoir and covers an area of 1,932 square miles. Now, when I think of a large lake I think of one mass of water. For Lake Powell this is not so. It is made of of numerous canyons which are perfect for allowing the three million visitors per year some privacy. Nature lovers are in for a great time. The colorful canyons that line Lake Powell create a beautiful paradise. Some canyon walls are very steep and contain ancient artifacts such as dinosaur prints or Indian ruins. Trails are available to visit natural wonders that are not within immediate sight from the lake such as Rainbow Bridge, a stone arc which is found in the southern half of the lake.
Water sports thrive on Lake Powell. The canyons provide smooth water for waterskiing, wakeboarding, and wake skating. Water that is more choppy is great for tubing behind a boat. For those who enjoy something a little less strenuous there's fishing or just floating in the water to stay cool.
Houseboats are fun. Have you ever been on one? Having a collection of family or friends living on one is an exciting experience. Without the Internet or television people have to be more creative with how they spend their time. That's how games like "Intertube Baseball", "Frisbee/Jetski Catch off the Top of the House Boat", and "The Human Pyramid-Intertube Style" are born.
Lake Powell isn't just great during the day. At night people gather around campfires to roast marshmallows and every now and then fireworks can be seen in the night sky (illegal, of course, but still fun to see). When everyone has settled down hundreds of stars can be seen from your bed on top of the houseboat or on the shore.
Sometimes a vacation is what you make of it, but there's a reason so many people who have experienced Lake Powell choose it for the place they would like to be more than anywhere else. It's got a lot to offer. After spending four days there myself I may concur with my fellow Utahans- Lake Powell is where I would like to be over everywhere else.
3 comments:
Tiffany,
In my undergrad I did a unit with my students on the national parks of the united stats and researched a bunch of places I knew I had to visit in this lifetime. With your description, picture, and encouraging words, I now have to add on Lake Powell to my list. Thank you for sharing your trip in such a descriptive manner, and I am thrilled to hear you had such a wonderful experiences. Thank you for sharing your vacation!
Tiffany-
Lake Powell sounds gorgeous! I have always wanted to stay on a houseboat. I love camping and things like that where you have to find ways to entertain yourself. It great to use your imagination and make up fun games to play as you guys did!
Tiffany - Wow - this is an awesomew National Park! I had never heard of it - and I got right on the internet to check it out, when I read it on Sunday. My husband had just turned on the movie "Houseboat" on AMC! I think it will have to be a destination someday for us. Your descriptions were great, and I visualized the Lake as I read your piece. Thank you for sharing.
In paragraph two, you can add a space before the hyphen: "...tie - either..." and paragraph five has "of of" . Your writing could be an advertisement for the park - I'm sold!
Post a Comment