Thank goodness Debbie's father reminded us of the big Utah v. Alabama game coming on later that night. They knew we were from Utah and we talked sports for a little bit while Debbie grabbed the things she needed for her China trip from the sorority house. Most of the girls living there we were indifferent to, but we enjoyed Debbie's company and had gotten to know her parents well from their frequent visits to Cornell. Once Debbie finished she joined us downstairs in the parlor and the conversation turned into how much longer I was going to be pregnant, what we should name the baby, and how lucky I was to have so many "babysitters" living in the same house with me. I mentioned several times that I had decided I wouldn't be pregnant much longer...I was done! I couldn't imagine even another week pregnant!
They left as it was starting to get dark and Dad offered to heat some leftovers from our New Year Day party up for dinner. As he prepared dinner, I definitely went into "nesting mode". I began labeling boxes, cleaning the nursery and bedroom, putting away laundry, and finished putting away the last of the Christmas decorations. We are our pork tacos and began searching for the game on the television.
Now, I don't wan to confuse you too much. We are huge BYU fans, but Utahans ban together when either BYU or Utah get to go to a BCS Bowl game. There are very frustrated feelings about the way the BCS is run and anytime one of the underdogs has the opportunity to go to a real bowl game, we root for them.
It was an exciting game. Utah was ranked 7 and Alabama was ranked 4, but the Utes proved they were better than that with a 31-17 victory.
Around 1:00 am your dad turned on Sports Center to re-live the details of the game, per tradition. I got up and brushed my teeth, washed my face, put on my pjs , and climbed into bed. At this point in the pregnancy I was so big and uncomfortable that it usually took me around five minutes to get comfortable enough to sleep. I finally found a position that worked, and took a deep sigh to allow myself to wind down.
WHOOOOOOOOSH
Yep. My water broke. I was wet, the bed was soaking, and I just screamed, "Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my GOSH!"
Your dad jumped up. "What happened?"
"My water just broke."
"Are you sure?"
I laughed and said, "Are you serious? Of course I'm sure!"
Then we started to get really excited and called my mom. We laughed because all the excitement from the football game must have sent me into labor, and you were awfully considerate to wait until after the game was over. The contractions stared coming hard and frequently and Dad got out his laptop to monitor my progress. I remember right before one contraction he had his hand on my belly. He could feel you and I both flinch as the contraction come. You were not happy about this whole contraction business..you continued to be very active and I assume angry with every contraction right up until you exited the womb!
When the contractions were about 3-5 minutes apart we decided to call Dr. Torrado. I was dreading waking him up and had vowed that I would not be one of those women who go into labor in the middle of the night. I made Dad call him.
Dr. Torrado gave us the green light to call the hospital. they said to come in, that there was no one else in labor at that point. (Though, four other women checked within the 25 minutes it took us to get there, and Ithaca is NOT a large town) Dad packed his bag (mine had been packed for weeks, of course) and we got into our Nissan Rouge around 3:15 am. I felt so giddy walking down the stairs to the car. It was all surreal- you were finally coming!
I won't go into the messy details of your birth, but you arrived at 10:02 am.
It's hard to remember what life was like before this wonderful day. You bring so much joy into my life and I feel so blessed to be your mother!
P.S. Dad can't wait to take you to your first football game!
Revived!
16 years ago
1 comment:
Tiffany - This is a great piece to put at the beginning of your journal to your baby! I was confused at first that you called your husband "dad" - I thought it was your dad - but I got it when I realized you were writing to your baby.
In paragraph 2, New Year Day, should be New Year's Day. There are a few typo's are/ate our pork tacos and the contractions stared/started.
I can imagine how giddy you felt. This is an enjoyable read - thank you for sharing.
Marie
Post a Comment